Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Birds of The California Academy of Sciences

Rufous-crowned Tanager, South American Rainforest, Persuasive

Today's entry will be about birds that "Don't Count". What does this mean, exactly? Well, one component of bird watching that we don't really dabble with here at Amateurnithologist is the concept of a 'Life List', a list containing all the birds you've ever seen. The goal being, obviously, to make like a pokemon trainer and catch em' all.

Red-legged Honeycreeper (female), South and Central American Rainforest and Forest, Meticulous

While your bird blogger does not have a life list, he does have this blog. And this blog has standards, oh yes it does. Standards like 'not writing about a bird I do not have a picture of' and 'not including pictures I have taken myself'. This weekend I saw a magnificent golden eagle up close, he is almost certainly a god among birds, but I will not be writing an entry about him until I can take a picture.

Red-legged Honeycreeper (male), South and Central American Rainforest and Forest, A Wizard

Another example of a standard I have developed: A bird does not count unless you see it in the wild. I haven't ever seen a serious birder talk about this issue, but that's probably because I've done zero investigation ("zero investigation" is our motto here at Amateurnithologist).  For myself, the logic behind this rule is that a bird in captigivty removes a vital component of the birding process, that of The Hunt. The feeling of accomplishment that one gets when finding A Bird of Importance. Also, seeing a bird in captivity always kinda bums me out.


Bay-headed Tanager, South American Low and High Mountain Forest, Pandering

However, as an enjoyer of all things avian, it's not like I'm gonna not take a picture if I see some cool bird. So what to do with these images? Well, this I guess. Rather than do an in-depth profile, I'll simply share the bird's name, origin, and one adjective that might describe him. In this way I hope to separate this entry from what I usually do, while still honoring these incredible birds. We walk a thin line.

Common Ostrich (Juvenile), African Savannah, Precocious

With a perspective, your Amateurnithologist.

African Penguin, South African Beaches and Islands, Brusque

All of today's birds were photographed at the California Academy of Sciences, in beautiful San Francisco, California. They are loved and taken care of very well there, so maybe go see them?

No comments:

Post a Comment